Pratt Institute | New York, New York | MS Library and Information Science | 2011
Government Informatics, Health Informatics, Business Informatics
New York University | New York, New York | MA Africana Studies | 2007
College of Charleston | Charleston, South Carolina | BS Anthropology | 2004
Minors: African Studies, Africana Studies
Universite’ de Paris – Sorbonne | Paris, France (French Culture & History)
Speos-Paris | Paris, France (Film Photography)
Political Management | George Washington University (SIW) | Washington, DC
October 2017- Present
Head of Data Services & Librarian for Data Initiatives and Public Policy, Planning and Management | University of Oregon | Eugene, OR
As the Head of Data Services I lead the Data Services team and provide direction for the data services related initiatives in research support, outreach, and education for the University of Oregon Libraries.
- Oversee the creation of the Data Services Department and the design the departmental direction and goals
- Created Data Stories competition for the University of Oregon Undergraduate Research Symposium
Created Data Literacy Workshop in partnership with UOHack (Data Journalism)Direct the work of two direct reports
Liaison to the School of Public Policy, Planning, and Management
- Created and supervise the Data and Digital Service Graduate Assistant Position
- Serve as the Faculty Advisor to Peer Exchange, advocating for underrepresented students
- Oversee the Local and Regional Document Archive, a part of Scholars’ Bank, the UO institutional repository
February 2016 – Present
Librarian for Data Initiatives and Public Policy, Planning and Management | University of Oregon | Eugene, Oregon
As the Librarian for Data Initiatives and Public Policy, Planning and Management I provide leadership in Research Data Management planning and Data Services to a team of four librarians working in the sciences and social sciences (RDM Team). The RDM team is responsible for creating the service framework to help researchers manage their data through the data lifecycle including infrastructure planning and budgeting. I also directly supervise a Graduate Teaching Fellow to develop unique prototype data services to Public Policy, Public Planning and Nonprofit management faculty and students.
- Develop and implement the training of researchers in data management, analysis, collection, preservation and other digital scholarship initiatives.
- Consult with Faculty and Student Researchers on Digital Management Plans and digital scholarship related tool and methods
- Directly supervise one Graduate Teaching Fellow, in the creation and implementation of unique data services focusing on public policy, urban planning and management.
- Create and cultivate research resources for the Sustainable Cities program.
- Develop data related curricula and coordinate workshop series focused on data literacy skills
- Oversee the Data for Local Communities, a repository of local community data, and the Local and Regional Document Archive, a portion of Scholars’ Bank, the UO Libraries institutional repository.
- Cultivate relationships with external partners, across campus, the local community and government including working relationships with the Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development, Oregon Department of Transportation and the Oregon Department of Justice.
July 2016- Present
Instructor, Applied Information Management Program | University of Oregon | Portland, Oregon
As an Instructor in the graduate level Applied Information Program, I teach the Electronic Information and Research Course. A credit bearing course focused on the way electronic information is produced constructed and validated using both library resources and open information sources.
July 2014 – January 2016
Government Information Librarian | University of Oregon | Eugene, Oregon
As the Government Information Librarian I provided research and instructional support for social sciences, public administration, planning, public policy and nonprofit management.
- Oversaw the Local and Regional Document Archive, a digital repository of specialized government information.
- Liaised with government agencies to incorporate appropriate and valuable resources to that collection.
- As a member of the research data management team, which plans the strategic direction of the research data programs and priorities for the library and campus.
- Led a team of three faculty and staff in the accessibility audit of the library website as a part of the Online User Interfaces Committee (a team that improves the online experience of library users.)
- Led a committee of five staff and faculty through the final phase of the implementation of the library’s switch to LibGuides CMS and its integration with Canvas, the new campus learning management system.
- Served as the Presiding Officer of the Library and Officers of Administration and sit on Library Council, the leadership body of the UO Libraries.
July 2011- July 2014
Assistant Professor / Reference and Instruction Librarian | Hunter College-CUNY | NY, NY
At Hunter I provided research and instructional support in Economics, Human Geography, and Africana Studies; Created digital learning web app for CUNY and NYU courses; and taught a 1 credit course on information literacy.
- Oversaw the creation of Digital Scholarship @ Hunter College initiative and co-led a team of three librarians on digital scholarship outreach and instruction efforts.
- I liaised with the Hunter College Gene Center to provide library instruction for associated student programs as well as provide presentations on new tools for research and scholarship.
- Co-led a team to evaluate library spaces and services, resulting in a conference presentation and a trade publication article as well as co-lead a study into UX testing of the library website which resulted in a conference presentation and scholarly publication.
July 2007- July 2011
Reference Associate, Coles Science Center | New York University | NY, NY
At New York University I provided reference and instructional services in STEM, Public Health, Social Sciences, & Humanities.
- Created Grey Literature, Open Source Software, Data Management and Science Research guides.
- Managed two direct reports (student employees) and special projects.
- Served on committees dedicated to improving user experience, data services, and library policies.
October 2006 – May 2007
Graduate Assistant | New York University | NY, NY
- Participated in the 4RS research studies by proctoring surveys and performing classroom observations in 3-5th grade public school classrooms in NYC as a part of a nationwide study.
- Maintained and organized collected data in statistical analysis software.
October 2004 – November 2004
Campaign Organizer | MoveOn PAC | Milwaukee, WI
- Recruited and trained 27 community leaders from across Milwaukee, WI to recruit a voting team for the 2004 presidential election.
- Coordinated the ‘Get Out the Vote’ (GOTV) activities for over 20 wards on election day 2004.
August 2004 – October 2004
Assistant Canvas Director | Grassroots Campaigns | Atlanta, GA and Washington, DC
- Co-managed a Grassroots Campaigns field office, and directly lead a field team of five to ten canvassers, with bottom line responsibility for local operations (staff management, canvassing, recruitment, and administration) first in Atlanta and then Washington, DC
Leadership, Service and Associations
Oregon Black Pioneers (Oregon African American Museum Project) — Board Member, 2016-Present
Board member for Oregon Black Pioneers Corporation also known as the Oregon African American Museum Project.
Collaborative Librarianship — Editorial Board Member, 2016-Present
Editorial board member for the peer reviewed journal Collaborative Librarianship.
Digital Library Federation Forum — Inclusivity Committee Member, 2016-Present
Inclusivity committee member for the Digital Library Federation Forum 2016.
Orbis Cascade Alliance CCD Data Sets Working Group — Member
Participant on a small exploratory group charged with performing an environmental scan of data management issues in the alliance regarding current efforts, needs, and future alliance level participation as well a creating a report (https://goo.gl/WYLWPX) to guide alliance policy regarding research data (definitions, mandates, curation and management).
Library Faculty and Officers of Administration — Presiding Officer, 2015-2016
As the Presiding Officer of the University of Oregon Libraries Faculty governing body I worked with an executive committee and administration to address matters of professional interest to the library faculty, and strategic mission of the library.
2015 State of Black Oregon: A Panel Discussion — Organizer
Urban League of Portland report release event at UO
Oregon State Library Technology Advisory Council — Elected Chair, 2016-2017
Lead the LSTA in the advisement of the State of Oregon’s library board on which libraries and projects around the state of Oregon should receive federal (LSTA) grant funding.
Oregon State Library Technology Advisory Council — Elected Member, 2014-2017
Advise the State of Oregon’s library board on which libraries around the state of Oregon should receive federal (LSTA) grant funding.
Oregon State Library State Database Licensing Advisory Group — LSTA Representative, 2016-Present
Serve as a non voting representative to the State Database Licensing Advisory Group, which advises the LSTAC on the Statewide Licensing Program (SDLP).
Library Association of City University of New York (LACUNY) — President, 2014
President of the CUNY Libraries Library Association, representing the faculty and staff of over twenty libraries. Oversaw the executive committee responsible for membership enrollment, scholarship dispersal and the execution of conferences and professional development events.
Reference Special Interest Group, NY Metropolitan Council — Co-convener,
Worked with fellow Co-convener Meg Smith to plan presentations , group shares and workshops on topics of interest to Reference SIG attendees.
THATCampNY 2012 — Organizer, 2011-2012
Led a team that organized a two-day unconference attended by over eighty scholars, librarians, technologists and students. Received over $5000 in sponsorship from multiple universities, Microsoft Research and JSTOR+Ithaka. Fostered an online THATCampNY presence and community.
Publications and Presentations
Bryant, T. & Cain, J.O. (In preparation) . Libraries and Nonprofits:Collaboration for the Public Good. Sacramento,CA: Library Juice Press.
Cain, Jonathan O. “Using Topic Modeling to Enhance Access to Library Digital Collections” Journal of Web Librarianship (2016):1-18.
Bryant, T. and Cain, J. “Coordinating Diverse Public Programs at Your Library” OLA Quarterly, 21(4), 36-38. http://dx.doi.org/10.7710/1093-7374.1835
Cain, J. and Treneman, G. “Offering New Spaces to the Space Strapped Student.” College and Research Libraries News. 76.7 (2015) : 366-369
Andre Becker, D., Bonadie-Joseph, I., & Cain, J. (2013). “Developing and completing a library mobile technology survey to create a user-centered mobile presence.” Library Hi Tech 31.4 (2013) : 688–699.
Cain, Jonathan O. (2010). Web 2.0 Utilization in E-Diplomacy and the Proliferation of Government Grey Literature. GreyNet: The Grey Journal 6.1(2010): 15-23
Cain, Jonathan. “Developing Specialized Services to Cultivate Common Skills”. IASSIST 2017. Lawrence, KS. 23-26 May 2017.
Proctor, Sarah & Cain, Jonathan. “Spatial Preference Patterns: Visualizing user preference after a internal space redesign”. Presented at GIS in Action Conference. Portland, OR. 17-18 April 2017.
Cain, Jonathan & Bryant, Tatiana. “Is your research Valid?: Reflections on the Institute on Research Design in Librarianship”. Online Northwest. Portland, OR. 31 March 2017
Bryant, Tatiana & Cain, Jonathan. “ Teaching About Oppression & Resistance In Oregon”. Lunch Lecture. University of Oregon, Portland. Portland, OR. 16 March 2017
Cain, Jonathan & Bryant, Tatiana. “Is your research Valid?: Reflections on the Institute on Research Design in Librarianship”. UO Libraries Faculty Forum. Eugene, OR. 25 October 2016
Invited, Cain, Jonathan “We Built it. Did They Come? Space and service analysis of a recent renovation in an urban academic library.” International Conference on Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries.
Cain, Jonathan. “Using GitHub to Enhance Government Data Access”. Digital Libraries Foundation Forum 2015, Vancouver, BC. 27 October 2015
Cain, Jonathan. “Using Topic Modeling to Enhance Library Collections”. ACRL 2015, Portland, OR. 26 March 2015.
Cain, Jonathan. “Using Topic Modeling to Enhance to Digital Government and Archival Collections”. Presented at the Online Northwest 2015, Corvallis, OR. 13 February 2015.
Cain, Jonathan, & Treneman, Gardner. “Evaluation of High-Density, Multi Purpose Library Spaces: An assessment of Hunter College Libraries users’ reaction to space renovations.” Presented at the Library Assessment Conference, Seattle, WA. 4-6 August 2014.
Becker, Danielle & Cain Jonathan. “Creating User-centered Web Sites Through User Feedback”. Macalester College. Library Technology Conference, St. Paul, MN. 20 March 2014.
Cain, Jonathan & Moustafa, Laila Hussein. (2013, October). “Disaster Management Planning in the Middle East”. Presented at the New York Archives Week 2013 Symposium Disaster Planning for Archives and their Communities, New York, NY. 7 October 2013.
Cain, Jonathan. “Digital/Analog/Digital”. Presented at the Hunter College ACERT Tech Thursday. Building student research and writing skills: Collaborations with library faculty., Hunter College New York, NY. November 2011.
Cain, Jonathan. “Is The Research Paper Dead? Reinvigorating the research Process”. Presented at the ACERT Teaching Tuesdays, Hunter College NY, NY. (n.d.)
Cain, Jonathan. “Mendeley & Data Repositories: New Tools for Discovery and Collaboration”. Hunter College
Additional Education / Honors
Open Knowledge Practicum Fellow @ Digital Humanities Summer Institute 2017, University of Victoria
DHSI 2017 Tuition Scholarship – “Wrangling Big Data for DH”, University of Victoria
DHSI 2017 Tuition Scholarship – “Cloud Powering DH Research”, University of Victoria
ICPSR: Providing Social Science Data Services: Strategies for Design and Operation (2016) | Ann Arbor, Michigan
SHARE Curation Associate (2016-2017) SHARE (Center for Open Science and Association of Research Libraries) | Charlottesville, Virginia
- Project: ORCID Harvester
IRDL Scholar (2016-2017) Institute for Research Design in Librarianship | Los Angeles, California
- Project: The Research Cycle and Data Management Practices of Primary Investigators
ICPSR (2012) I National Black Election Surveys | Ann Arbor, Michigan
Library Faculty Professional Development and Organizational Development Award Recipient (2016)
Association of Health Professionals, MLA (Provisional Member,2013)
FITT Grant (2012) – $2,000.00 to develop a web app version of my teaching tool. The Research Journal
Hunter College Presidential Travel Grant (2012, 2013)
Pratt Black Alumni Scholarship (2009-2010)
New York Black Librarian Caucus Donna Hoke Scholarship(2009-2010)
Pratt SILS Merit Scholarship (2008-2009)
Skills and Software
Technical Skills & Interests
Service Design, User Experience Design, Data Acquisition, Data Management, Data Analysis, Data Manipulation and Organization, Visualization, Text Mining, Topic Modeling, Cloud Computing
Project Management, Strategic Partnership Development
R, RStudio, SAS, Mallet, OpenRefine, twarc, ArcGIS, APIs, WordPress, DSpace, MySQL, Unity/Hololens, Sci2, Cytoscape, Spark, OpenStack(Cloud Computing), Python(rudimentery), Databricks(Spark), Virutualbox, VMWare
Selected Committee Service
University of Oregon:
- Research Data Management Team (Lead)
- Library Technologies Group
- Online User Interface (OUI) Working Group
- Evaluation, Assessment and User Experience (EAUX) Team
- Systems Librarian Search Committee
- Experiential Technologies Working Group
- Grants and Awards Committee
- West Wing Task Force
- CMET/DSC Integration Task Force
- Student Health Advisory Committee (Campus wide)
- LFOA Executive Board
- UO Libraries’ Digital Scholarship Interest Group (Founder and Lead)
- Health Center Promotion Manager Search Committee
- ADI Lab Planning Committee
- Digital Scholarship at Hunter
- Library Systems Search Committee
- Hunter College Faculty Senate
- Hunter College Libraries Web Committee
New York University
- Graduate Student Working Group
- Virtual Reference Services
- Hunter College Faculty Senate
- Data Services